What Are Bullion Coins?
Bullion coins, commonly made of gold and silver are also made from other precious the metals, such as palladium and platinum. They are typically minted in fractions of one troy ounce.
Many countries like the United States and Canada mint their own official bullion coins. The United States mints the American Eagle series produced by the United States Mint and Canada mints the Canadian Maple Leaf series offered by the Royal Canadian Mint.
While some investors purchase bullion coins as gifts or collectible items, others invest in them for their perceived value as a hedge against inflation.
What Are Some Popular Gold Coins?
- United States $20 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle
- United States American Gold Eagle
- Canadian Gold Maple Leafs
- United States $10 Indian Head Gold Eagle
- South African Krugerrand
What Are Some Popular Silver Coins?
- Morgan Silver Dollars
- 90% “Junk” Silver Dimes
- Canadian Silver Maple Leafs
- American Silver Eagles
- British Silver Britannias